We, and the koalas, urgently need your input.
An email letter is the best way to get your voice heard. You can say what you want about the You Yangs and Serendip Sanctuary, and what’s important to you.
(Note: Parks Victoria and the consultants GHD Consulting have created a survey, but it is somewhat leading, unclear at times, you are unable to skip questions, and there is little room for comments. See link and suggestions at bottom of page if you want to fill it out. You can of course do both the survey and a written submission)
Suggestion for an email letter submission:
- Write from the heart, about how the You Yangs has personally affected you. Give examples of actual things that have happened to you, and their impact.
- Mention the wildlife as much as you can.
- Mention climate change, dying trees and the lack of water in the park. Read why climate change is killing koalas here.
- Talk about what you think the future should be for the You Yangs region. Is it important that the wildlife of the You Yangs survives? Should there be more protection for them, from off-leash dogs, vehicle traffic, bushfires and climate change? Why does it matter to you? Is it important that there are quiet places to go and watch wildlife, or hike, or photograph nature?
- Mention other visitors you’ve met, especially international, interstate or those who have travelled far.
- Be as reasonable, calm, practical and sensible as you can be. But also use emotion. For example:
“I was having a really tough week because of xxxxx and feeling quite down. Getting out in nature, weeding, and sharing the day with people of all ages, from all backgrounds, really picked me up. I felt 100 times better.”
“I never knew there were koalas in the You Yangs. I used to go there about once a year. Now I go about twice a month with my friends, and I pull out weeds every time. I think of those little koalas out there, and it makes me more determined to do something to help them.”
“I spend a lot of my time alone. But I made friends with another of the volunteers on Koala Clancy day. Now we always go to the Little River pub/Lara bakery after volunteering, and enjoy a beer/coffee together. It makes my life less lonely.”
Well-written accounts from people who are representative of the population work well. If you want more information we have created a detailed overview of our response to the You Yangs Master Plan here. The Terms of Reference of the project can be viewed here.
Address your letter to:
Include the date, your full name, address, email address and telephone number. They probably won’t call, but if they do they will be pleasant and professional.
Suggestions for filling out the survey:
Say YES to (or mention in comments):
- YES Activity: Viewing wildlife
- YES Explore protection of wildlife corridors and connection to the broader ecology, including a wildlife protection area in the southeast corner of the You Yangs Regional Park.
- YES Feral animal and plant control (mention in comments)
- YES off-leash dog control (mention in comments)
- YES Purchasing of goods & services – give an overview, with costs if you can, of how much your visit contributes to the local economy
- YES New interpretive signage about flora and fauna
- YES New entries to the You Yangs, including Toynes Road
- YES Upgrading toilet facilities
Say NO to:
- NO Annual Events Program
- NO Childrens Play Spaces
- NO School camping – see why above
- NO Accommodation options in the park
Thanks so much for your time and ongoing support for the koalas and wildlife of the You Yangs!
Janine, Roger and the team at Koala Clancy Foundation and Echidna Walkabout Nature Tours.
LINKS & REFERENCES:
How climate change is affecting koalas: https://koalaclancy.wordpress.com/2014/11/24/koalas-and-climate-change/
About Koala Clancy Foundation’s tree planting program: https://echidnawalkabout.com.au/about/conservation/
Echidna Walkabout & Koala Clancy Foundation’s response to the You Yangs Master Plan process: https://echidnawalkabout.wordpress.com/2019/10/04/you-yangs-region-master-plan-our-response/
You Yangs Master Plan Terms of Reference: https://koalaclancy.wordpress.com/2019/10/04/process-terms-of-reference-you-yangs-master-plan/
Echidna Walkabout Nature Tours
T: +613 9646 8249
Fax: +613 9681 9177